TPAPN's 2015 Spring Workshop
(Advocate & Faculty Liaison Training)
April 10 - 11, 2015 | Austin, TX
Location: Embassy Suites Arboretum Austin
9505 Stonelake Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759
Workshop includes Saturday morning presentations: "Looking Good, Doing Well & Taking Care of Others: Identifying Psychiatric & Substance Use Disorders in Nurses & Related DSM V Changes ", by Dr. John Lehman, Ph.D and "Treating the Professional Nurse: Best Substance Use Disorder Treatment Practices ", by Shane Moes, MA, LPC, CAADC
• Approved/active volunteers
• TNA/TNF staff and board members
• BON staff and board members, and invited guests of TPAPN
• Treatment, mental health providers
• Employers of nurses
• Other interested nurses
Cost: No charge to TPAPN Advocates, Faculty Liaisons, Advisory Committee Members, BON Staff and Directors. Full workshop registration fee for all others is $150.00 both days; $75.00 single day. Fee includes workshop materials, CNE hours and meals. Payment must be made by correct change, check or MO. Payment may be mailed or received at door. *Refunds granted in full w/72 hour cancellation notice.
If mailing payment send to:
C/o Texas Nurses Foundation
8501 N. MoPac Expy., Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78759
When: April 10 – 11, 2015
Where: Embassy Suites Arboretum Austin*
9505 Stonelake Blvd.
Austin, TX 78729
Registration: 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m. Friday; 8:00 a.m.- 8:45 a.m. Saturday
Friday: 8-5 Session/ 6.75 Contact Hours; 8.1 Total TCBAP Hours
Saturday: 8-4:30 Session/4.58 Contact Hours; TCBAP: 3.6 TCBAP Hours
(Must attend the full workshop each day to receive hours)
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. TPAPN Staff
1. Relate one’s role as an advocate or faculty liaison to TPAPN’s mission.
2. Describe TPAPN’s relationship to the Texas Nurses Foundation and the Texas BON.
3. Identify the intake process as pertains to 3rd party and self-referrals.
4. Ascertain what program forms participants must complete for each phase of participation, from assessment to completion.
5. Consider the rationale for the major terms of participation including drug testing.
6. Recognize the value that TPAPN restrictions play as part of a sound recovery.
7. Explain how "work monitors" function for TPAPN.
8. Consider positive ways to support participants, from referral to completion or dismissal.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 10:30a.m. Dr. John Lehman, Ph.D
1. To gain knowledge of useful tools to assist in identifying impairment and relapses.
2. To gain a greater understanding of the impact of the DSM V on the assessment process.
3. To gain a greater understanding of how dual diagnoses develops.
Saturday: 10:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m. Shane Moes, MA, LPC, CAADC
1. Ascertain two significant developments in TPAPN during the past 12 months.
Afternoon Q & A:
2. Propose how you can implement advocacy for TPAPN nurses given program changes and needs.
Following the presentation and lunch, the workshop will continue and conclude with the Advocate Recognition Ceremony, frequently noted by attendees as a most inspiring event.
Hotel Reservations: TPAPN has special rates at Embassy Suites Arboretum Austin. Reservations should be made by 3/19/2015, rate is ($139.00), please call (800)362-2779, refer to the group name TP2 or Texas Peer Assistance.
TPAPN volunteers, i.e., all approved TPAPN advocate applicants, active advocates, faculty liaisons and current TPAPN Advisory Committee members: TPAPN is covering $34.00 of the nightly room rate for Thursday night, 4/9/15 and/or Friday night, 4/10/15 (not including city/hotel taxes). The nightly lodging rate only good at Embassy Suites Arboretum Austin, ($139.00). Special room rate will only be available through 3/19/15.
If you are with a school of nursing and do not know if you have a designated faculty liaison we urge you to contact us (see contact information below) to ensure your school has a designated representative attend. To obtain the TPAPN Faculty Liaison application form email email@example.com. or for the TPAPN Advocate Application form for download go to tpapn.org. Applications may be faxed 512-467-2620 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. TPAPN will accept applications for approval until April 1.
The Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses is a program of the Texas Nurses Foundation.
Texas Nurses Association/ Foundation Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses approved by the TCBAP Standards Committee, Provider No. 0651-91 (11.7) hours general, Expires 04/15.
Complaints about provider or workshop content may be directed to the TCBAP Standards Committee, 1005 Congress Avenue, Ste. 460, Austin, Texas, 78701, Fax Number (512)467-7297.