TPAPN's 2015 Fall Workshop
(Advocate & Faculty Liaison Training)
November 13 - 14, 2015 | Austin, TX
Location: TCEA Conference Center
3100 Alvin DeVane Blvd., Bldg. 3 | Austin, TX 78741
Workshop includes Saturday morning presentation: "The Science of Recovery: An Advanced Clinical Seminar on Addiction and Recovery ", by Dr. Cardwell C. Nuckols, PhD.
• Approved/active volunteers
• TNA/TNF staff and board members
• BON staff and board members, and invited guests of TPAPN
• Treatment, mental health providers
• Employers of nurses
• Other interested nurses
Cost: No charge to TPAPN Advocates, Faculty Liaisons, Advisory Committee Members, BON Staff and Directors. Full workshop registration fee for all others is $150.00 both days; $75.00 single day. Fee includes workshop materials, CNE hours and meals. Payment must be made by correct change, check or MO. Payment may be mailed or received at door. *Refunds granted in full w/72 hour cancellation notice.
If mailing payment send to:
C/o Texas Nurses Foundation
8501 N. MoPac Expy., Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78759
When: November 13 – 14, 2015
Where: TCEA Conference Center*
3100 Alvin DeVane Blvd., Bldg. B
Austin, TX 78741
Registration: 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m. Friday; 8:00 a.m.- 8:45 a.m. Saturday
Lunch, breaks and materials will be provided to all workshop attendees who have preregistered.
Friday: 8-5 Session/ 6.75 Contact Hours; 8.1 Total TCBAP Hours
Saturday: 8-4:30 Session/4.58 Contact Hours; TCBAP: 3.6 TCBAP Hours
(Must attend the full workshop each day to receive hours)
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. TPAPN Staff
1. Relate one’s role as an advocate or faculty liaison to TPAPN’s mission.
2. Describe TPAPN’s relationship to the Texas Nurses Foundation and the Texas BON.
3. Identify the intake process as pertains to 3rd party and self-referrals.
4. Ascertain what program forms participants must complete for each phase of participation, from assessment to completion.
5. Consider the rationale for the major terms of participation including drug testing.
6. Recognize the value that TPAPN restrictions play as part of a sound recovery.
7. Explain how "work monitors" function for TPAPN.
8. Consider positive ways to support participants, from referral to completion or dismissal.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 11:00a.m. Dr. Cardwell C. Nuckols, PhD
1. How addiction progresses involving different neurobiological and neurotransmitter systems (for example glutamates role in drug-seeking) and what this means in regard to treatment.
2. Understand low dopamine tone (from genetic and stress research) and its utilization in understanding patient history and treatment.
3. How social group participation enhances patient well-being (i.e. enhances dopamine tone) in early recovery
4. How new research on the neurobiology of prefrontal cortical functioning is related to patient relapse.
5. How problems in “reverse learning” creates cognitive inflexibility and what we can do to help our clients.
1. Ascertain two significant developments in TPAPN during the past 12 months.
Afternoon Q & A:
2. Propose how you can implement advocacy for TPAPN nurses given program changes and needs.
Following the presentation and lunch, the workshop will continue and conclude with the Advocate Recognition Ceremony, frequently noted by attendees as a most inspiring event.
Hotel Reservations: TPAPN has special rates at Hampton Inn and Omni SouthPark. Reservations for Hampton Inn should be made by 10/22/2015, rate is ($129.00), go to http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/A/AUSSOHX-TPA-20151112/index.jhtml.
Reservations for Omni SouthPark should be made by 10/13/2015, rate is ($132.00), call 1-800-THE-OMNI, refer to the group name “Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses.”
If you are with a school of nursing and do not know if you have a designated faculty liaison we urge you to contact us (see contact information below) to ensure your school has a designated representative attend. To obtain the TPAPN Faculty Liaison application form email email@example.com. Or for the TPAPN Advocate Application form for download go to tpapn.org. Applications may be faxed 512-467-2620 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. TPAPN will accept applications for approval until November 1. Special room rate will only be available through 10/22/2015 (Hampton Inn) and (Omni SouthPark) 10/13/2015.
The Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses is a program of the Texas Nurses Foundation.
Texas Nurses Association/ Foundation Provider Unit is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses approved by the TCBAP Standards Committee, Provider No. 0651-91 (11.7) hours general, Expires 04/16.
Complaints about provider or workshop content may be directed to the TCBAP Standards Committee, 1005 Congress Avenue, Ste. 460, Austin, Texas, 78701, Fax Number (512)467-7297.